November 8, 2013

Book Review - Crochet At Play


If an 8 year olds enthusiasm and excitement is any indication of how fantastic a book is, then I would have to say that Kat Goldin's "Crochet at Play" is a pretty fantastic book! I was sent a review copy of this lovely crochet project book of kids clothes, scarves, and hats and before I could get a good look at it, Magnolia disappeared into her room with it, emerging 10 minutes later begging for some string. I was in the middle of cooking dinner and grabbed the nearest stringy item, which happened to be a large spool of cotton baking twine. She skipped happily from the room eyes ablaze with excitement! When my house gets quiet I expect the worst, so I was pleasantly surprised when I checked in on her and found she had taught herself to finger crochet by looking at the book. She had created a 4 foot length of crocheted chain and was wanting to do more. Crochet, from my inexperienced eyes, looks like some math problem written in a foreign language, so I have always been a bit intimidated by the process. Seeing how excited and eager my little one had become by looking at this beautiful book made me want to jump in as well. The pictures and beautiful and the projects are just so sweet! A lions mane hat! Sweet monster footies, and some of the sweetest sweaters you'd ever want to lay eyes on! One of our favorites was a crocheted mermaid tail cozy for a baby. After dinner, we sat together and looked through Kat's book, taking in its beauty and creative bounty. Magnolia even came up with a few of her own ideas. There are crochet basics at the front of the book thankfully,  and we are lucky that Magnolia's grandma is a seasoned crochet pro. There is hope for us! I think we could convincer her to give us lessons! A multigenerational crochet lesson would be a hoot. I found this video…

 

No comments: