February 15, 2013

On a Dime...

I am so proud to have two projects in the Spring 2013 issue of Jewelry Stringing magazine! The first project is a pair of earrings featuring my paisley earring pairs and drop charms from Thea too (link below) and a second project for their Jewelry on a Dime section. When I sit down to design something, cost is not always at the forefront of my mind. Keeping the cost of the project under $25, as requested, was a challenge for me.  Not that the items featured in my project were all that costly, but every option seemed to put me just over the target. The first project went over by about 10$ so the editors asked if the design could be edited. I couldn't bring myself to pull it apart so they gave me the option to do a similar design. Here was the outcome...


Because the cost of the full strand of gem stone beads put me over the top, I came up with a new plan...


 This design features a heart charm and button from Thea Too www.theatoo.etsy.com and lovely recycled sari silk from www.ribbonsandsilk.etsy.com




3 comments:

somethingunique said...

Just. Lovely .....

Ann Schroeder said...

I have got to go out and get this magazine. So many of my favorite bead people/bloggers are in it! It is great to see a necklace and then see how to make one in the same spirit but with different materials. I often need to rethink a piece if I don't have exactly what I need. Sometimes it's worth waiting to collect everything I need, but this shows that you can make something just as beautiful by thinking creatively. Thanks for sharing!

Third Eye Gypsy said...

Congrats on your publications! Beautiful designs as well! Designing under that budget is very difficult!

xo Genea