July 29, 2010

Let Them Eat...


I recently received a preview copy of "Kids' Cakes from the Whimsical Bakehouse: And Other Treats for Colorful Celebrations" by Kaye and Liv Hansen. Actually it was quite a while ago that I received this copy to review and life has not been a cake walk, pun intended (see posts on fallen tree and dead car). So I did get to look through and marvel at the beautifully decorated, sweetly designed cakes (a bed cake for a slumber party! Too cute!), but I haven't had a moment to actually try any of the recipes. Magnolia instantly wanted to make a "Make-up" cake with tiny lipsticks and other dress-up accoutrements. Calder wanted to make, and eat, the treasure chest cake (great use of gold chocolate coins!). And we all wondered how you could actually eat the woodland log cake with the little whimsical fairies and flowers (I guess if I was feeling sadistic that day I could!?) There were lots of detailed written instructions which was great, especially for a pastry challenged person like myself, but being a visual person, some step by step instruction photos wouldn't have hurt either (what does it look like to draw on candy?). Magnolias fifth birthday is just around the corner, a fact she has been sharing with every person we encounter (did the kind checker lady behind the register at Target or the other dozen complete strangers really care yesterday? They all did a great job pretending to!) So I may have to bust out the measuring cups (and actually measure) to make a cake that is hopefully too beautiful to eat, but so delicious that we will anyway!

No comments: