August 26, 2011

Of What Mettle They Are Made Of...

Mostly copper, but occasionally brass or silver...

I do love copper. It is warm and bright and feels ancient. When I was a kid my father was a carpenter and builder. He was asked to help install copper roof to a store front on our main street here in Ojai. The shop was for designer Barbara Bowman who lived just across the street from us. She was always so kind and friendly. She designed the most beautiful clothing, shoes and bags, I just coveted them. I remember watching him shine the copper and it gleamed in the sun and was just brilliant. A few years later it hand turned a fantastic earthy brown and green color. I remember thinking how odd it was for the metal to change colors. Chemistry...


I was tempted to add a patina to these links and hooks but decided they would do it all on their own...







4 comments:

Juliette said...

Love those hooks!

Miss Val's Creations said...

Gorgeous work! I love how copper develops such an antiqued patina over time, but I also love when it is super shiny! ~Val

Anonymous said...

What your made is just gorgeous!

-Pepita

Jenni said...

Beautiful hooks...great job.I have a few copper cooking pots which I love...a bowl to whisk egg whites is fab..and always looks good to my eye even though I have had it for 20 years or more.
Jenni