May 30, 2008

We should all be the queen's of our castle...


And what an amazing castle it is...In 5th grade I discovered in our school library, a book that would tempt me to almost, kind of , think about possibly not returning a borrowed book... on time... Colleen Moore's Doll house was too good not to own. I would love to see it in person and it is on permanent display at The Museum of Science and Industry in Chicago. This elaborate miniature house was created by silent film star Colleen Moore in the 1930s, and was donated to the Museum of Science and Industry in 1949. I remember turning page after page and being absolutely beside-my-self-in-love with every picture. The museums web site has a tour with great descriptions and lovely photos. Working fireplaces and 100 year old crystal gobbles! It was renamed the Fairy Castle, a more grand name, but it will always be a "doll house" to me. More mini things to come...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW!
This is incredible! I'm so glad she donated this for future generations of faeries and kids of all ages to swoon over ~
Thanks for sharing : )

Unknown said...

I have seen this & it is breath taking! I always wanted a doll house when I was little, but even in my wildest imagination I could not have dreamed up something so wonderful!
Go See This!!!

Gaea said...

You've seen it with your own eyes?!?!!!!? How awesome! I bought the book (which my dog promptly christened by chewing off one of the corners!!!) and it is as amazing as I remember!