August 20, 2013

Happy Camper

When I was a kid my dad built a mobile home out of a 1950's school bus. In its building phase, I remember my dad, standing atop of the elevated and exposed flat bed which accentuated his already intimidating 6' 3" frame. At some point, my unfortunately placed tricycle was flattened like a pancake by the back wheels of this giant rolling house. I cried. With mom's curtains in the windows and hand picked tiles on the counters, we traveled in what dad called our "house car" to Arizona, Oregon and Washington. That was the very early 1970's and I have no doubts that we were the hight of hippie chic. Some of my fondest and not so fond memories are of being in that bus. Getting to sleep in the big bed above the cab, roof pulled back to sleep under the stars. Waking up freezing in the winter with out central heating. Being warmed by the vintage potbelly stove. The times spent there as a teen were embarrassing. Why didn't we have a "normal" non moving house? With more privacy? HIPPIES!

When I think about it, we had it good. Not much money but lots of love, friends and adventures. We were happy campers.






6 comments:

TesoriTrovati said...

SO amazing! I love, LOVE the story. What a great adventurer your dad must have been! Your new beads are simply delightful. Enjoy the day. Erin

Alice said...

I love reading stories like this. Our family of 5 traveled too, but in a car with no radio or A/C. There were no fancy hotels then, just motels. And since my dad watched his pennies we stayed in some very sketchy ones like the one above a cheesy theme park, or the one he stayed up all night by the screen door that wouldn't lock. But even with all the creepy stuff we saw (and the stories I could tell) I still contracted the travel bug. Your beads are just the cutest!!!!

Thanks for sharing your wonderful memories with us!

Amy F said...

What a great post! and great beads too :)

Unknown said...

You had many adventures in the camper wow! I love these beads..I look forward hopefully to catch a glimpse of what people made with these beads!

Gaea said...

Oh My gosh Alice! Did you say 5? Wow! Do tell!

Thank you, Erin, Copper Diem and Janet! I am also looking forward to seeing how they are used!

Jennifer Stumpf said...

Huge love for the camper beads. Adorable and so creative! And bring back memories of mine as well. <3