November 7, 2007

Ahhh! Dates on the calander are closer than you think!


How do families do it? I have been wondering how in the world do people manage the holidays on a less than Rocker-feller budget? Not that we are an overindulgent group but I have noticed that living expenses are skyrocketing! I am a thrift store gal (Melanie... any room on that sheet for a "Queen of the Thrift" http://earthenwood-beads.blogspot.com/) . Always have been, always will be. It's not that I'm cheep or don't understand when to spend the money. I just love a deal and can't always afford to take the kiddies to the toy store. My cherished friend Jennifer and I discuss this all the time. The thrill of the bargain! Her hubby can't stand to hear about her bargain finds and views it as somehow tainted. So we girlishly thrill each other with our latest bargains and how good they were! I'll find myself calling her from the middle of Target leaving bread crumb messages about what our cities store has that she just must have. "JEN! Cute sandals in a size 11 at Target! Call me!"

I tend to make our family gifts and realistically I know the holidays are about sharing time with loved ones and it isn't about the money or gifts but with the holidays looming and our families growing and budgets shrinking, How does your family make it through the holidays? This year has been a wonderful year, don't get me wrong but a little financial planning never hurt anyone! How do you do it?




My dad had found these old drawings from when I was about 7 or 8. As some are holiday related I thought they fit the topic. I do love how I drew everyone as cats! Did you know I changed my name to "Marlane" when I switched schools in 4th grade?!?!

No comments: