April 5, 2008

Calm blue ocean, calm blue ocean, calm blue...

OK. I've been repeating this to myself over and over again. It makes me laugh and takes the edge off when things get tough. It came from the first season of the Tracey Ullman Show, (I miss that show!) back before they had the Simpson's between skits. It was this cartoon of two women of a certain age, in a car, one attempting to show the other how to drive on the freeway. The driver was anxious and nervous and kept repeating "calm blue ocean" over and over again in a very panicky way. As they drove along the slightest thing would make her panic and she would repeat her mantra in an increasingly panicked tone! Hilarious. So for years this has been our mantra and yesterday was one of those days that needed a mantra. It irks me to no end when you are trying to play by the rules but the giant corporation you are playing with isn't. And let's just say that this time of the month I should be barricaded in the kitchen with some old Sex and the City DVDs, a cup of coffee and a pint of Ben and Jerry's. So it took all of my strength not to reach through phone and strangle some poor schlep who was maybe doing their job?!? It all started last month in a serious attempt to cut my business costs. I figured out that by getting rid of my credit card processing company and using only PayPal I could save at least $30 a month. So I just lucked out and called to cancel my serves the one time I can within a 24 month cycle, which was last month. It took quite tome doing and a lot of run around but managed to send emails to the right people. So what should appear on this months bank statement? A charge of $60!!! Not only had they not canceled my account but they added another $10 to my bill!!! ARGH! So I called up and got a run around and they tried to tell me that I didn't cancel but if I would like to I could but there would be a $275 dollar cancelation fee. Uh. No. So I get my contract out and what he telling me is not correct (mine says $240 at least!) and of course he can't change anything in the system. So I send him a copy of what I have and like magic, the system changes! After more run around I ask for a supervisor and I've been on the phone back and forth for hours. I keep thinking this is costing them more in man hours than my $275 and they have lost me as a customer already anyway. They never tried to win me back either. And yet when I called the office where I sent my cancellation notice they said I had been canceled. Duh. UGH! So the lovely supervisor get on the line and wrangles the 6 headed beast into a logical conclusion! Yes! I have been canceled. No! I will not have to pay the fee! AHHHH! calm blue ocean, calm blue ocean, calm blue ocean....

This one is for you Mellanie! (my son is on a General Grievous kick and it made me calm blue ocean.)
i-will-defeat-you-general-grievous.jpg
see more crazy cat pics

4 comments:

melanie brooks said...

OMG, How frustrating! Sorry about all of that! I want to change my cc company too, so I can take cc's online alongside PP, but I fear this runaround and extra fees. I have put this off for years! Yes the lack of customer service in some of these places is astounding.

I remember Tracy Ullman from teh days of the Simpsons on there, but I don't remember that sketch. She is a funny lady!

And nerd alert! I watched some Star Wars last night, it was playing on tv! I toggled between Harry Potter, Willy Wonka, and Episode 2. NERD!

thx 4 teh lolz

Gaea said...

We Nerded it up as well! Sorry for the misspell on your name! I think the sketch was on only once and then the Simpsons were on from then on. I switched to the PayPal Virtual Terminal (30$ a month) and you can turn it on and off so you don't have to pay every month!

melanie brooks said...

Yeah we got it ALL nerdy in here! And dang it I tuned into Epiisoe 3 last night on tv and just missed the Grevious scene!

I have been tempted by Virtual Terminal. But my merchant account is only $10 a month and makes it really easy for me to use at shows, so its not a big priority. It's not the greatest...I can only take Visa MC with it and I can't do web sales, but $10 a month!

Paypal is SO convenient for me, I really love it. I know not everyone does, but it has really worked for me...

Gaea said...

I like $10 a month! It is all so tricky! I've been wanting to watch episode 3 again but we can't let the 6 year old see! Too much scariness!